[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:13:40 PDT 2009

Doug (to Chris D):

You've become a master of the one-line non sequitur.

And it's true!

In a way, it's a form of Twittering (or Tweeting). But I like to call it Doss-Booting. Why waste words or pay attention to what people are actually saying when hilarious one-linemanship is an option?

But how does it work?

Let's say you were lucky enough to attend the Richard Feynman lecture considered to be the foundation of nanotechnology.

Here's Prof. Feynman:

A simpler way might be this (though I am not sure it would work): We take light and, through an optical microscope running backwards, we focus it onto a very small photoelectric screen. Then electrons come away from the screen where the light is shining. These electrons are focused down in size by the electron microscope lenses to impinge directly upon the surface of the metal. Will such a beam etch away the metal if it is run long enough? I don't know. If it doesn't work for a metal surface, it must be possible to find some surface with which to coat the original pin so that, where the electrons bombard, a change is made which we could recognize later.

[...]

My god, that's a lot to take in. Do you:

a.) Listen quietly and learn something

or

b.) Doss-Boot it!

I think you know the answer.

Acceptable responses to Prof. Feynman include:

* Cheese is a delicious snack.

* I'm drunk right now.

* Uzbek waitresses hate the Taliban.

* export PATH=$PATH:/home/Doss-Boot/hilarity

And that's just a sample.

Try it today!

.d.