[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 31 23:15:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Bryan Atinsky wrote:

> Well, if I remember right, if they live in a walled city or around a
> courtyard, they could carry things on Shabbat, and in modern times,
> there is often a eruv created (symbolic 'walled' boundary of wires with
> poles, around a neighborhood).
>
> Maybe they don't have an eruv there.

Umbrellas are specifically not covered by the eruv rule. See footnote 7:

http://books.google.com/books?id=XGEMTh6xCV4C&pg=PA202&lpg=PA202&dq=umbrella+jewish+law&source=bl&ots=H5HLTJdWcu&sig=oPyU_Mycv8aeR5lNAZ51PDzReds&hl=en&ei=G7bNScCbPJuclQfyprGuCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

The rule against them is not because they are objects to be carried, but because they are rooves or tents that shelter you which would be illegal even in your own courtyard.

Michael