[lbo-talk] repulsive press release of the day

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 06:03:27 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 4/30/09, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> IRANIAN NATIVE EXPLAINS THE EVIL OF ISLAM
>
> Mano Bakh exposes the evil tightly woven into the Islam
> religion, calling for a plan of action before it is too
> late

[WS:] This kind of spitting on one's old country is quite typical in political emigre circles, cf. virulently anti-communist drivel spewed out by Eastern European emigres. I think that the main reason behind it is not a character flaw but a limited array of marketable goods these folks can offer as intellectual commodity vendors. Nobody would give a rat's ass about their views on, say, the American society (yours truly is an example :)) - they only market niche they can find is catering to the popular fears and prejudices in their host countries. Zizek is an exception that confirms the rule - he's been successful mainly because of his personal charisma and superior knowledge of Western culture, but even with all that he is no more than a jester for the literati elites.

Wojtek