[lbo-talk] MacVeblen

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:06:32 PDT 2009

Preferring PC to Mac on the basis of price, especially when software is free, is certainly reasonable. But everything else here is wrong. The Mac GUI was not exactly "ripped off" from Xerox (not Zenith). Microsoft, in contrast, based DOS on a hacked version of CP/M. The competing business models of (1) Microsoft and (2) Apple were (1) to allow anyone to manufacture computers that could run DOS, but to require a licensing fee from all, and (2) to refuse to license the software to third-party manufacturers. Microsoft's business model succeeded while Mac's business model failed, or nearly so. The "cult of Apple" arose initially among pre-Mac Apple users and was later adapted as a marketing strategy, not a business model, after Jobs was brought back. Apple's new business model is a hybrid of the old Microsoft and Apple strategies. Apple still manufactures all of its own hardware, but with iPod and iPhone its aim is to overwhelm the competition with content (either the size of the iTunes store or the vast range of iPhone apps) and ease of use. Wojtek's rejection of the fanboy culture is really just a very effective means of building cultural capital in a would-be proley group like ours.

Michael