[lbo-talk] The extreme Google brain

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:17:29 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
>>> I tried to explain the nature of Open Source software ...
>
> I've been wondering all day about what the *nature* of Open Source software
> possibly could be ...

I meant philosophy. Keep in mind English is not my native language.

I wanted to make a point that it'd be in their own best interest (= more sales) to accept customer's files in OpenDocument format as it was a growing platform with Ubuntu, OpenOffice.org and all that.

There's another anecdote involving one of Argentina's top advertising agencies doing its whole "web site" as an empty HTML frame with a big freaking Flash Applet inside. And they called that a web site, despite the fact that the only standards-compliant part of it was an empty frame.

I approached the firm's top brass which pointed to its graphics designer guru, which in turn read my tirade and replied. He had trouble grasping the importance of making web sites INDEXED by search engines. I pointed that:

1. The content of the web site couldn't be indexed by spiders and thus wont appear on search engines 2. That customers / visitors couldn't bookmark one darn thing as the URL stayed with the entry page no matter where you clicked. 3. That a big freaking flash applet is not a web site. 4. That it was possible to embed flash for animations yet keep text content and scrolling lists as DHTML.

The response?. That the firm wanted to create a "dynamic" "high-impact" web site, and lots of other nonsense about round borders and "beautiful design".

So... that's the world of Graphics Designers... at least those I've met. (Which, let me assure, are more than these two examples).

FC