[lbo-talk] PC or Mac and gaming console

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Fri May 1 07:42:38 PDT 2009

Yah, I hear yah. I thought long and hard about getting a PS3 (good graphics and BlueRay in the mix, ease of setup/use), but I have always shied away from consoles...I have played with friends' consoles, but I can't stand the controllers (though that is based on the Xbox360's which is what my friends have), so maybe the PS3 is better, but I must say that I prefer a keyboard and mouse. The Wii? Great concept and fun to play, but holds my interest for a whole five minutes. Also, isn't even the PS3 graphics card based on the Nvidia 7900? I had the 7800 on my last build (the GPU lasted me 4 years and was still decent, but showing its age with newer games with low frame rates or very low graphic level ), so with the pushing of the envelope constantly with new games, how long can the PS3 keep up? or they will just have to dumb down the graphics for the consoles compared to the PC games? And, unless I am mistaken, you can't switch out the GPU of a console?

In the end, I had to get a new computer anyway, so, I figured, why not just put the same features of the PS3 into my computer, so I added a blueray player for $100 extra, and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 200 series GPU, and that puts me near the same cost as buying a PS3 and with a far superior GPU that will hold its own for a few years to come I would think.

Bryan