[lbo-talk] MacVeblen

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Fri May 1 08:06:08 PDT 2009

Our differences, as I see them: (1) There's a difference between a marketing strategy and a business. (2) All commercial software manufactures rely on some form of extraction of monopoly rents. And the "machine not status symbol" meme is the core of Microsoft's current ad campaign. Sure, LBO is mainly a Mac shop, on some measures, but you know your Bourdieu well enough to know that trying to kill the king is a well-tested strategy of cultural capital accumulation. Why don't we just cede the cool title to the open-source crowd and forget the Mac vs. PC bullshit? M