[lbo-talk] MacVeblen

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri May 1 08:21:47 PDT 2009

On May 1, 2009, at 11:12 AM, ravi wrote:
> On May 1, 2009, at 10:50 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>> PS. By "monopoly with a hefty price tag" I understand that Mac does
>> not allow aftermarket software or hardware - you have to buy it
>> form Mac at a price that is far greater than the aftermarket
>> products.
>
> Woj, with all respect, I think you need to sit this one out. ;-) Any
> OS vendor who does not permit 3rd party software to run on their
> system is doomed.

In your defence, perhaps you meant "aftermarket OS", but that's not true either. A Mac can run both Windows and GNU/Linux. Both natively on the processor or in a virtual machine. For a while they were boasting sarcastically that the Mac was the fastest Windows platform.

It is true that Apple does not permit Mac OS X, their OS, to run on non-Apple hardware (generally speaking).

--ravi