[lbo-talk] MacVeblen

JC Helary brandelune at gmail.com
Fri May 1 17:08:13 PDT 2009

On samedi 02 mai 09, at 01:00, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> I m not trying to defend Windows vs. Mac, I said that Mac is a
> superior machine (based on opinions of others, as I have no
> technical knowledge to ascertain that myself.) My main argument was
> that superior quality does not mater that much, because of the short
> life span of the product, but price does. And you have to admit
> that PC are much more competitively priced than Macs. The reason
> for that is Windows is less of a monopolist than Mac (although both
> of them are.)

No, you can find cheaper PCs but you can't find significantly cheaper PCs with the same hardware features, in fact this argument is as old as the Macs but since the shift to Intel have proven plain mistaken. You'll find plenty of HW comparison on the net on that aspect. Not even to mention the end cost of all the _working_ software that comes with the machines you compare.

Regarding price/market share and Apple strategy etc, it just happens that John Gruber has written something on that subject today:

http://daringfireball.net/2009/05/verizon_iphone_rumors

Jean-Christophe Helary