[lbo-talk] Weather Underground / Prairie Power

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 5 13:09:29 PDT 2009

I had to work an early morning release today, so I had to drive in instead of walk. Moving my car to the garage at a more normal hour, I decided to dawdle at the bookstore. I picked up Dan Berger's _Outlaws of America_ which is about the Weather Underground.

There was something about the quality of the print/design -- heft in an era when so many books are published with the cheapest of pulp. (Yeah. Yeah. Get a kindle....save a tree.)

I was also intrigued because such bile is spilled every time the WUO is mentioned. So far, I'm just learning about Dan Gilbert's early experiences. [1] So, I'm wondering if folks wanted to elaborate on why the WUO is so reviled.

Also, learned about something I'd never heard of before: "Prairie Power" which refers to the influx of radicalized students from the mid-west, who were often from less well-established backgrounds, often first in the family to attend college.

Wondered if Carrol or others recall that being a phrase used at the time.

shag

[1] Which -- fun! -- comfirms the shag-Miles thesis that institutions change norms and practices and that's what matters, not the reading of some political tract or listening to some speech.

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws