[lbo-talk] "I like rightists"

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 5 13:17:00 PDT 2009

At 04:06 PM 5/5/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>On May 5, 2009, at 3:59 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

>>>Either that or Nixon was lying.
>>

>>I'm confused as to what this is a reference to? Or is this some
>>convo going on at Pen-l?
>
>Here. It started when I posted a quote from the libretto to John
>Adams' Nixon in China (by Alice Goodman). In it, Mao said he liked
>rightists. I asked if this was true. Apparently it is. Since Cde Cox
>loves Mao and hates rightists, well, you can guess the rest.
>
>Doug

I'm still not certain what CC has to do with it in so far as I don't really remember much that CC ever said about Mao.

Still! I would love to know what about Mao's bio would lead him to say that. Or if he was just being sly or what. What's the general assumption about why he said that? Is there some dirt on Mao. Might he have finagled some deal with the U.S.? Nixon?

I'm hopelessly ignorant about the who's who of sectarian belief(s). Shit. It was just a couple of weeks ago that I was motivated to care, and thus look up, what the whole 1st, 2nd Internationale crap was all about. All this time, I thought it was a singular *event*.

ha! what a lamer I am.

shag

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws