[lbo-talk] liberal austerity (cont.)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed May 6 08:59:27 PDT 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

> We're probably going to see benefit cuts, a higher retirement age, and
> more chipping away at the upper end in the name of "fairness" - which
> will reduce the support for SS over the longer term, and push it more in
> the direction of welfare, which means in the direction of suckiness.

You don't think there's any chance a substantial part of it will be raising the tax base of FICA so rich people pay more? That was one of Obama's campaign points; it would be in the direction of less suckiness; and the first thing that Steny said in that Note excerpt was "more revenues."

As for higher retirement age, some of that would simply be adjusting accounting to reality, no?

Polly