[lbo-talk] Y'all Yeti for This (was: How many earths)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri May 8 06:37:48 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote: "I have been telling him that it would be delicious to have him consider Zizek's explorations of woman-as-thing in the context of chivalrous love, where the obvious issue is about putting woman on a pedastal and, thereby, emptying her of content, subjectivity. But the less obvious thing about the chivalrous lover is that the chivalrous lover never actually wants to have sex with the Lady, though that would seem his most obvious desire."

Query: When you talking about "chivalrous love" are you referring to the present or to the development of the practice in Provencal during the middle ages? If you are referring to the latter, this is probably incorrect. Sex was very much in mind - and some troubadours quite literally died (at the husband's hands) for having achieved it. Some were probably (through choice or failure of effort) as sexless as you claim here. It was in any case always a relationshp ('platonic' or actual) with a married woman: i.e., it celebrated adultery. The adulterous love of the courtly tradition got turned into married love in the 17th century by Spenser, Shakespeare, and Milton.

There is a late Spanish romance in which, at the ned, the hero marries the heroine, and begins repeating some of his rapturous speeches which had punctuated the text. She interrupts him: We can't be in love now, we're married."

Carrol