[lbo-talk] Michelle Rhee

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Fri May 8 06:51:59 PDT 2009

The story of education deform and the 70s RAND/DoD mess is told in my (ahem) co-authored book, "Risky Business: Private Management of Public Schools." Available from EPI, no commission for me.

Re: Hoxby, check EPI's web site for comprehensive criticism.

Some years back we had a research assistant at EPI, Jesse Rothstein, who worked on trade stuff. I didn't pay much attention to him at the time. His daddy Richard was an original SDS guy (Port Huron statement) and does a column on education for the NYT. His book on education is really excellent.

Turns out little Jesse has a giant brain. His empirical/quantitative skillz are amazing. After EPI he did a Ph.D. in econ at Harvard or someplace like that and is now an assistant professor at Princeton. He got into an epic, very nasty dust-up with Hoxby over her highly debatable empirical work. Google for details.

One of Hoxby's celebrated papers on competition in Massachusetts' public schools is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. She left Harvard after, to her credit, objecting to Larry Summers' theories of female intellect. I should admit I'm biased against Hoxby because she is reactionary, young, beautiful, very smart, and plays better golf than I do.