[lbo-talk] Query re study of suicide bombing

Chip Berlet c.berlet at publiceye.org
Sun May 10 10:00:35 PDT 2009

Highly flawed analysis because the concepts of apocalyptic belief and religious nationalism were simply dismissed.

See:

http://www.publiceye.org/liberty/terrorism/insurgency/biblio.html#relvio

http://www.publiceye.org/liberty/terrorism/insurgency/biblio.html#islam

especially:

Juergensmeyer, Mark. 2000. Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence. Berkeley: University of California.

Kaplan, Jeffrey. 1997. Radical Religion in America: Millenarian Movements from the Far Right to the Children of Noah. Syracuse, N.Y.: Syracuse University Press.

Robbins, Thomas and Susan J. Palmer, eds. 1997. Millennium, Messiahs, and Mayhem: Contemporary Apocalyptic Movements. New York: Routledge.

Stern, Jessica. 2003. Terror in the Name of God: Why Religious Militants Kill. New York: Ecco/Harper Collins.

-Chip

From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of HMFJ Sent: Sun 5/10/2009 12:34 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Query re study of suicide bombing

Hi, is this the one?

Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism (2005; ISBN 1-4000-6317-5) is Robert Pape's analysis of suicide terrorism from a strategic, social, and psychological point of view. It is based on a database he has compiled at the University of Chicago, where he directs the Chicago Project on Suicide Terrorism. The book's conclusions are based on data from 315 suicide terrorism campaigns around the world from 1980 through 2003 and 462 individual suicide terrorists. Published in May 2005, Pape's volume has been widely noticed by the press, the public, and policymakers alike, and has earned praise from the likes of Peter Bergen, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas), Michael Scheuer, and Noam Chomsky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dying_to_Win