[lbo-talk] The coopting of Krugman

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon May 11 11:29:01 PDT 2009

Dinner with the president:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/nothing-to-say/

Today's column:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/opinion/11krugman.html

I'm not saying there aren't good points in there. And Krugman has never been married to single payer. He's a classic case of someone who thinks it's obviously economically best but is politically impossible so we should aim for a compromise that gets us closer.

But his whole pitch still sounds different from anything he's ever written about Obama and healthcare before. Before I don't think he would be calling this "the greatest news I've heard in a long time." I think he'd be calling this "a dangerous embrace." And he'd be emphasizing just how ferociously the Congress has been fighting the public option -- i.e., Max Baucus literally not letting a representative sit at the table, and having them arrested and hauled away -- and hence how the odds right now is that that the public option won't make it through, and how without it, we'll get Messcare, and how now is the time to man the decks.

Michael