[lbo-talk] the American labor movement (cont.)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue May 12 17:02:39 PDT 2009

At 6:52 PM -0400 12/5/09, Doug Henwood wrote:

>Dan Boone, the vice president of the United Steelworkers in
>Cleveland, said that workers there can relate to the frustrations of
>its colleagues protesting in Luxembourg and Chicago.
>

>"We are disappointed, frustrated and anxiously awaiting word when we
>are going to start up," said Mr. Boone. "But you are not going to
>see those kinds of violent protest here. It does make good business
>not to produce, so in business sense it is sound. We do not blame
>management."

How very understanding of him. Perhaps the representatives of the employing class might like to follow his lead and be equally understanding?

Can I suggest something like this:

"Yes, we can understand the workers getting a little bolshie, we are only surprised they have reacted so mildly. Just because there's a recession doesn't mean they don't need to feed and house their kids anymore. And why wouldn't they blame the employing class? As a whole we are useless, incompetent parasites who are entirely to blame for the economic mess. But since we rule the world, we make sure that, in the hard times created by our greed and bungling, it is others that go hungry and get thrown out onto the streets. Non monsieur, it would be churlish of us to complain about a few broken windows, which the workers will have to fix anyhow. Actually, it would make sense for the working class to be taking over the means of production, they couldn't do any worse than we have. We are incredibly grateful they aren't thinking along those lines, in fact it is always a great relief when the workers go on a rampage and smash things up, it shows they aren't thinking of revolution. Its when they don't start breaking things that I get nervous."

Bill Bartlett Bracknell tas