[lbo-talk] The Sixties and Platonic Farts

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:47:27 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 4:45 PM, SA wrote:
>
> Which would naturally exclude ruthless criticism of all that exists.
>>

> It's ok to criticize U.S. imperialism. Everything else is pretty much off
> limits, though.
>
> Doug

Doug, that's obvious crap. Criticizing U.S. imperialism was done by 1930s Communists and look how that turned out: it produced capitulation to the New Deal and the war against fascism, then McCarthyism, nightmare suburbanization, and the intensification of black urban/rural ghettoization, the rise of SDS (inevitably, and obviously, followed by the WU - both of which repeated the error of criticizing US imperialism) and in combination with the capitulation of those black women in the south led to the death of the ERA and Reaganism. Don't you see?! Criticizing US Imperialism leads obviously to neoliberalism... I hate everybody who did anything worthwhile in the past, especially my grandfather and parents, 'cuz they so obviously but nonsensically messed up my present. Carrol's assertion that there is anything obviously correct about his analysis of the southern churchwomen is farcical, immaterial and ahistorical. The second historicity and materiality are added back in, there is nothing but obvious falsehood in the example... no farts.