[lbo-talk] Obama to throw away the key?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed May 13 18:02:32 PDT 2009

it is now dawning on Obama and Americans just how disasterous was the Bush era.

Of course none of the terror suspects can be given a fair trial and imprisoned under any semblance of the rule of law. Because their capture was unlawful, their imprisonment was unlawful and of course their torture was unlawful. The evidence against them was all gained unlawfully, including by torture. The case against them is a farrago of lies concocted by deranged criminals working for the American government. It can't be relied on by any sane person, let alone by a self respecting court.

Any court of law would immediately release them. Any US court might even be forced to release them in America, because where else can they go? It isn't as though any other country would have them, if they weren't deranged killers before being kidnapped and subjected to protracted and inhumane torture by deranged cowboys, then they likely are now.

All as a result of the lawless and criminal conduct of the Bush administration. I used to wonder if it is might be deliberate? Were they clever enough to work out that their lawless actions against these suspected terrorists would create a catch-22 for any future government which wanted to be law-abiding? Making it impossible to actually return to the rule of law, without making the painful decision to set free people responsible for awful terrorist acts against US citizens?

Bush obviously wasn't that smart. Most apes are smarter than George W Bush. But maybe some of them were smart enough to work out that this was the best chance they would ever get to to poison that which they instinctively hated and despised, the rule of law?

Will they succeed? Will the new American government pay the price of returning to the rule of law? The price is they must put the tortured terrorists on trial, knowing they haven't got a snowflake's chance in hell of getting any convictions and that they will all be released? Or will they do what is suggested in this story and try to brazen it out in the former government's lawless way?

Fascinating to find out.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas