[lbo-talk] the epigenenome

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri May 15 08:18:47 PDT 2009

On May 15, 2009, at 11:11 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
> Chris Doss wrote:
>> A gene that is located in an individual, as part of his or her
>> body. If the individual does not reproduce, the gene is lost.
> No, not quite right. If I have no children, and I aid in the
> survival and reproduction of genetically related individuals, my
> genes are not "lost". They will show up in the next generation.

I believe we are talking about mutations. A mutation of a gene occurs in an individual. If that individual does not reproduce -- which is in fact the majority case, since most mutations are regressive and decrease the reproductive success of the carrier -- that mutation is lost. Now, its possible that the same mutation simultaneously occurs in multiple individuals -- perhaps because their parents were exposed to the same environmental effects -- but that has no relationship to kin, etc. So, you are right that you share your genes with your kin and they survive even if you don't reproduce. But mutations that are specific to you do not survive unless you reproduce.

--ravi