[lbo-talk] Dead Nation

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri May 15 14:12:38 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 1:41 pm, shag carpet bomb forwarded Harris-Lacewell's post (http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion/436038/the_torture_photos):

> I don't want Cheney in jail,

I sure do. Drag his sorry ass in front of the ICR and make him accountable for his voluminous crimes (among other small details, the murder of 1 million Iraqis).

> but I want him to
> have to tell the truth -live- on TV- repeatedly. Consistent with that
> commitment, I believe we should release the photos and simply cope with
> the political, moral, and national pain that may follow."

If the US Empire was still a going concern, I'd suggest a new bumper sticker for the bomber libs, as mindless and predictable as the aerial military drones they fawn over: "We Feel Your Pain, So the Empire Doesn't Have To".

But their Empire is toast. Burnt. Done. Everything which has happened in US politics since October 2008 has a strangely unreal, farcical character, like someone newly wakened from a nightmare and unable to tell the difference between reality and the dream.

I'm sure Harris-Lacewell personally means well. But she, and millions of Americans, are still in deep, deep denial over the collapse of their Empire -- and part of this denial is the refusal to see the Empire for the monstrous machinery of evil it truly is.

-- DRR