[lbo-talk] the epigenenome

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 15:15:41 PDT 2009

Bingo. My mutation is my mutation. It exists in me, Chris the fruit fly, or rather in my genetic material. It does not exist in other fruit flies unless they are descended from me. If I die before reproducing, the new mutation will no longer exist. It will not spontaneously appear in other fruit flies out of some kind of law of conservation of mutation.

Why is there resistence to this obvious fact? It's weird. (I actually think I know why -- people are taking the obviously true notion that the individual is part of a whole way, way too far, to the absurd point where the individual doesn't matter at all and novelty arising on the level of the individual is impossible.)