[lbo-talk] India's Hindu Party Reflects on Election Drubbing

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:33:38 PDT 2009

What's interesting to me is the drubbing the Communists took in West Bengal at the hands of the Trinamool Congress, a party that doesn't exist outside of West Bengal and whose whole raison d'etre has been hatred of the CPI(M) and the Left Front government it has led in West Bengal since 1977. I'm not sure when state elections are coming up for West Bengal, but this doesn't bode well for the left there. While the Left may have been putting some brakes on Singh et al. at the national level, I blieve the Left Front governmeng has been setting up "Special Economic Zones" for foreign capital for some time. In 2007,. at Nandigram, the state violently expelled residents of an SEZ who were blocking construction of a chemical factory. It's not clear to me how much of the Left's losses in West Bengal have to do with anti-incumbency and how much they have to do with the exhaustion of the Left in W. Bengal as any kind of real alternative to Congress policies. Since West Bengal is the only state, other than Kerala, where the communists have a chance of winning, this is a big defeat. The Left Front lost badly in Kerala as well, but there's a long history there of the Left Front and the (Congress-led) United Front alternating in power.

MM