[lbo-talk] India's Hindu Party Reflects on Election Drubbing

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon May 18 12:32:05 PDT 2009

On May 18, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Matthias Wasser wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM, ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>> There are parallels as well between the Dems (culminating in the
>> Obama
>> phenomenon), where the rise of the BJP and the death of the JP and
>> its
>> offshoots, provided a neat space for the Congress to take on the
>> image of a
>> kinder, gentler, secular neo-liberal party.
>
> How decent a parallel is Singh's religion to Obama's race? I know
> next to
> nothing of the cultural dynamics involved.

There is no parallel there -- sorry, I didn't meant to imply that. The Obama parallel to me is the soft assimilation of left issues via token or non-systematic moves/programmes and inclusive platform positions. There is no Obama like figure that I know of in the Congress party, to whom this election success can be attributed.

--ravi