[lbo-talk] Poll rout leaves India's communists a spent force

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:28:21 PDT 2009

I agree with the critiques of the CPI(M), or at least of its government in West Bengal over the last fifteen years or so. But I don't gloat over it. What lessons are we to draw from this? Are we to conclude that all communist parties that achieve a degree of electoral success are bound to become rent-seeking political machines? If that's the case, then why don't we just go all the way with Robert Bates or even Gordon Tullock, become good public-choice theorists, and renounce the communist project entirely? Or shall we find some ad hoc bullshit excuse like the CPI(M)'s failure to break with Stalinism, its gerontocratic leadership, or various faults of individual leaders? This was, at one time, a real communist party with a mass base throughout India and a dominant position in two states with a combined population of around 100 million. The party's degeneration is a disaster for the left, in India and out of it.

It was more or less by accident that I ended up studying India and Brazil in grad school. In both countries, real left parties with a mass base managed to find some way not just to operate within the confines of capitalist democracy, but to win. Yes, the Articulção tendency within the PT has given up on anything other than capitalist reforms. Yes, the CPI(M) has degenerated. Get back to me when you're part of a left that has something to degenerate from. (and yeah, okay, I realize that this is misplaced if you're not an amurrican).

MM