[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Re: why I love Workers Vanguard]

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 21:23:23 PDT 2009

I forgot to add the punchline, which is that Kennedy was asked about it at the press conference the next day and cut the reporter off, saying he disagreed with all of the resolutions, of course. I actually came across this story from reading the press conference transcript and had to look up what the resolutions said just now (thanks, Dennis, for posting the Rorabaugh review, which reminded me to look this story up).

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] why I love Workers Vanguard Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 23:52:54 -0400 From: SA <S11131978 at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org References: <20090519.172836.11043.0 at webmail21.vgs.untd.com> <2AE1A856-D635-440F-8838-761696ED7B52 at panix.com> <E1M6ZEP-0005Xz-Jj at elasmtp-spurfowl.atl.sa.earthlink.net>

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> From a review of Kennedy and the Promise of the Sixties by W. J.
> Rorabaugh:
>
> http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Kennedy+and+the+Promise+of+the+Sixties.-a0113898420
>

> "Yet because his successors in the presidency continued and expanded
> his opposition to the communist threat in Vietnam, it was ultimately
> Kennedy's concurrence in the extension of the Cold War to Southeast
> Asia that set the stage for the domestic upheavals that came later.
> Rorabaugh correctly argues that the turmoil of the late sixties was
> rooted in a reaction against the mainstream conservatism of post-World
> War II America. But it was the prolonged conflict in Vietnam that
> furnished the specific catalyst for that turmoil. The antiwar movement
> became a funnel through which a wealth of pent-up discontents were
> expressed."

Washington Post August 23, 1963 "'Radical' Democrats Hit" (AP) Republican National Chairman William E. Miller said yesterday that responsible Democrats should disavow a series of resolutions adopted recently by Young Democrats of 13 Western States. Miller, House member from New York, said the resolutions included several calling for resumption of diplomatic relations with Cuba, signing of a nonaggression pact between NATO and the Communist Warsaw Pact nations, and US withdrawal of its troops from South Vietnam. Miller called on Democratic National Chairman John M. Bailey to explain "to what extent did the 'radical left' not only attend, but obviously control, this convention, so that the...resolutions...were adopted."

SA