[lbo-talk] Poll rout leaves India's communists a spent force

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed May 20 08:37:04 PDT 2009

On May 20, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Politicus E. wrote:
> McIntyre wrote: "This piece you've posted here is the worst kind of
> ersatz left political "analysis" of India's politics: large
> pronouncement unsupported by evidence but larded with references to
> Gramsci and the other usual suspects with whom the author has only the
> most perfunctory acquaintance."
>
> You do not provide evidence to support your claim that the author has
> "the most perfunctory acquaintance" with the writings in question. I
> leave it to readers to make such a judgment.

To make a judgement I need to be able to understand completely what was written, and I am not sure I get all this hegemony legitimacy crisis business (ersatz political "analysis" of Indian politics seems quite right, especially when there are writers like P. Sainath providing what I find concrete analysis). But from what I got of it, and if I got it right, the analysis is exactly wrong! What this election seems to represent, seen in light of the defeat of both the Left and the BJP, is a pragmatic acceptance and adoption of liberal capitalism by the non-ruling classes (hence my follow-up questions to Sujeet).

--ravi