[lbo-talk] Poll rout leaves India's communists a spent force

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Wed May 20 19:14:16 PDT 2009

Indians have accepted a path to development, albeit one with promises of a more inclusive growth. That means an embraceable of relatively liberal economy capable of building productive forces. The CPI-M was riddled with corruption and other problems, their iron-fisted brutality was beaten back at the polls, but that being said for a developing country like India the question is how inclusive the growth will be and how much capital is going to be controlled to meet human needs and limit environmental damage, its not whether or not capitalism will be cultivated.

India has their time playing around with state-accumulation during the Nehru era, its no match for capital. And capital will lead to development and modernity, I don't see any of the far left parties--- the CPI-ML, Naxalites, etc, as being anything other than a reactionary force responding to the historically progressive role of the bourgeois in India and no amount of dependency theory or Leninist dicta can persuade me otherwise.

>From this standpoint I welcomed the election results on a level due to the
defeat of the Indian far right and its communalist policies, but I do regret the fact that left-forces will not be able to pressure Congress like they did with their minimal programme last election cycle.

The expropriation of the expropriators isn't on the agenda in India and for good reason.