[lbo-talk] Poll rout leaves India's communists a spent force

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Wed May 20 20:30:17 PDT 2009

Sure, it's a legitimate question, Ravi. But the only honest answer right now is "we don't know." At best, someone who has looked surveyed the results in some detail could hazard some informed guesses. To get a real answer will require substantial hypothesis-testing at the district level, if not below. The immediate post-poll commentary, whether in tolerable venues like Frontline and Tehelka or utterly repulsive ones like India Today, is all based on the - no doubt completely wrong-headed - assumption that the Indian electorate reflects the preoccupations of the commentator's milieu. So, as it stands now, we have a crucially important question and utter bullshit answers.

MM