[lbo-talk] Irish priests beat, raped children

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Thu May 21 05:45:06 PDT 2009

Of course not. There are two conclusions: (1) We shouldn't let a debate about whether prisons would still need to exist in a just society distract us from what prisons do in an unjust society. (2) Pointing to monsters as a justification for prisons is inapt, because (a) the "monsters" we find are sometimes the victims of a moral panic that throws elementary standards of justice to the winds, and (b) real "monsters" who enjoy high social status can often continue to act monstrously for decades, systemically as well as individually, with nothing done to stop them. MM