[lbo-talk] Irish priests beat, raped children

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 07:13:35 PDT 2009

--- On Fri, 5/22/09, Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> "I was making a snide jab at the "prisons should be
> abolished" thread we had on here a while ago, which included
> the sarcastic comment "so who should be in prison, the
> baby-rapists?", as if baby-rapists were simply a figment of
> the imagination."
>
> The problem is that the sexual abuse of children is so
> widespread, that by my guess, a good third of the male
> population would wind up in jail.
>
> It's not that cut and dry.

[WS:] It is not only widely spread but also socially accepted in many cultures (e.g. Islamic countries, not to mention the antiquity.) The concept of childhood as something "protected" is a social construct of modern Western culture and labor laws - but otherwise children have always been a fair game to be exploited for their labor and sexually.

Wojtek