[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 12:47:36 PDT 2009

At 09:21 PM 5/21/2009, Sheldon wrote:

>However, nobody who advocates "abolishing prisons" seems to come up
>with a good answer to what to do with the truly violent predatory
>personalities that do indeed exist out there.

I think that's because they consider this a false dilemma.

Angela Davis and Christian Parenti are two of the best and most knowledgeable critics of what's going on with prisons in the U.S. They both say what we need is to focus on better and more just ways to deal with the millions, or many thousands if you want to quibble, who are caught up in the criminal justice system and who are not violent and predatory.

The simple answer to what to do with violent predatory personalities is keep them locked up. In fact, if we did what Davis and Parenti suggest, then more investigative and preventive resources could be focused on them.

Here's something from Angela Davis I posted last time we talked about this:

<http://blackademics.org/interview-archive/november-2006-interview-angela-davis/>http://blackademics.org/interview-archive/november-2006-interview-angela-davis/