[lbo-talk] Limits of Criminal Law

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri May 22 13:46:26 PDT 2009

If you want to go deeper than slogans on the prison and criminal justice front, this guy Husak is very good. A precursor to this book was an article he wrote called "Is the Criminal Law Important?" That article is online here: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/osjcl/Articles/Volume1_1/Commentary/husak.pdf

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Philosophy/Law/?view=usa&ci=9780195328714

Description

In the US, one out of every 138 residents is incarcerated. The size of the prison population has quadrupled since 1980. Approximately 2.4% of Americans are either on probation and parole. The US has the highest rate of criminal punishment in the Western world. The problem with American criminal law, as the philosopher of law Douglas Husak and many others see it, is that there is simply too much of it. Recent years have seen a dramatic expansion in the amount of criminal statutes, and in the resulting reliance on punishment for convictions under those laws. Husak argues that this is regrettable for several reasons, but most importantly, he says that much of the resulting punishment is unjust, excessive, and disproportionate. He also claims that it is destructive to the rule of law and undermines the principle of legality. What should be done?

Husak's goal in this book is to formulate a normative theory of criminalization that will allow us to distinguish which criminal laws are justified, and which are not--something he sees as essential in order to reverse the trend towards too many criminal laws. The first part of his book makes the case that there is both too much criminal law and too much punishment, and clarifies the relationship between the two using empirical data. He then provides examples of dubious criminal laws enacted by legislatures, in particular statutes on drugs possession and guns. The latter part of the book develops his theory, which establishes principles that should set limits (both external and internal to the criminal law) on what we can and should criminalize.

Reviews

"...critically important and easily readable...Highly recommended."--Choice

"Trying to stem the tide of fatuous law that emanates from our incontinent legislatures, at least in the US and the UK, is a luckless and thankless task. I admire Husak enormously for his willingness to take the task on, and for the lively, sensible, and good-natured tone that he brings to it. I also admire his anti-authoritarian and anti-managerial moral instincts, sadly at odds with the spirit of the age. But most of all I admire Husak as a professional philosopher of law. His work is clear, thorough, patient, ingenious, insightful, informed, imaginative, and highly distinctive. Overcriminalization is no exception. Even those who are pessimistic about the possibility of deliberately effecting political change through academic work have a huge amount to learn from this wise, timely, and well-written book."--John Gardner, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews

"Husak's development and defense of his normative theory is modest, nuanced, and sophisticated. Even where his criticisms of other writers fail to convince, they are subtle and eminently fair. The footnotes alone contain a wealth of information and arguments from which readers will learn much." --Ethics