[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri May 22 15:39:20 PDT 2009

At 05:15 PM 3/31/2009, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>It occurs to me, that when I was curious about Judaism it was a simple
>matter of picking up a casual friendship with my neighbor
>downstairs.

follow up: we had a garage sale today and I learned something that confirmed what would have been my answer awhile back: striking up a friendship among the folks in this neighborhood presents problems in so far as this particular branch of orthodox / hasidism is so strict that the children will not speak to other children when they try to make friends.

i'd gathered that from folks' general reaction. I'd be sitting on the porch, reading, and I'd smile and wave. it was rare that I got a response. well, that's why: they're just very insular and don't mix it up with gentiles, apparently. i didn't say anything earlier since, well, maybe they just didn't want to talk to me. today, i learned that this is the general behavior. *shrug*

shag -- too old for this garage sale crap -- carpet ($1) bomb (bag sale on bombs, Sat afternoon) lol