[lbo-talk] Irish priests beat, raped children

Michael McIntyre morbidsymptoms at gmail.com
Fri May 22 16:18:29 PDT 2009

NGO workers would get nowhere with this campaign unless they were able to build it into some kind of mass hysteria. Hell, even The Wire, a show with some following on this list (me included), built a whole season around this theme. The NGO workers can't make this machine run if it has no resonance. Same with the social workers in the 80s and 90s who promoted the sexual abuse hysteria.

And as long as I'm breaking my STFU for the day rule - regarding Jim's earlier suggestion that the Left in Britain ignored the sexual abuse hysteria or signed on for it: I think this was much less common on this side of the pond, partly because Ace got on the right side of this issue early and hit it often. I'm also pretty sure that The Guardian came out on the right side of this issue. Unless that's a case of recovered memory syndrome on my part! ;-)

MM