[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat May 23 18:55:32 PDT 2009

"Crime" in the sense of "behaviors people find abhorrent" is not an institution. It's part of being a social animal, probably beginning historically the first time a therapsid mother swatted its cub's snout for stealing another cub's food. Punishment is hardly a strange concept either. If somebody, say, kills my wife, I am not going to sit around and drink tea and say, "ho-hum, he killed my wife, que sera sera." I am going to try to do very bad things to him out of this primitive animal desire called "desire for revenge."