[lbo-talk] Close the Prisons Re: Irish priests beat, raped children

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 24 04:43:56 PDT 2009

"Close the Prisons." There is no other left demand quite as
> central as this one. A 30 hour week is a close second. A guaranateed
> income a third.
>
> Carrol

And so by this definition the Castros and the Cuban Communist Party is not leftist? Or have they closed all their prisons and I missed the press release? **********************

As far as I know, Cuban workers don't enjoy a 30 hour work week either. IMO, SWT is a key demand for producers compelled to do wage labour. The last demand (income) is, I believe, fulfilled (although, you might get some argument from some Cuban workers as to how adequate that income is) and as far as I can tell, US workers would be envious of the healthcare system in Cuba, if they actually experienced it during a health crisis e.g. cancer, heart attack...The U.S. cancer-for-profit driven system sucks, as anyone under 65 who has had a significant health issue knows.

Another thing Cuba doesn't have is open borders, which I believe is considered an essential radical-leftist litmus test for many on the LBO list.

Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline