[lbo-talk] how do you arrange your library? (was: do people still read post-structuralism?)

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 05:17:45 PST 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 9:59 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> it never occurred to me to freakin' measure. all you guys are measurin'
> dayum what is up with that! now, I'm going to have to go measure the
> freakin' linear shelf footage. I now feel as if something's missing in my
> life. Like, if I just new how many feet my books took up, I'd be complete.
> heh.

How long is yours, ha ha. It only took a couple of minutes. I'm pretty sure that before I went on my jihad (in a semi-technical sense) to lighten my load I had maybe twice that, accommodated with double rows. I must have been pushing light-industrial floor loads.

> also, Andy, I have to know. have you mastered the fine art of stealing milk
> crates for your books? :) because that's what I have done over the years to
> accommodate moving. I now have about 20 milk crates, less two wooden ones I
> finally decided had given up the ghost since I've had them since 1981, when
> they served as bookshelves in my bedroom at home.

I have about as many. The problem with using them for moving is that they don't pack or collapse between moves the way cardboard boxes do, and I'm trying to unwind my collegiate furniture look. They're perfect for files, though. Half of mine have beer bottles (for homebrew).

> i should hook you up with R, mr metal working, machinist tool guy, lathe
> man, welder, iron worker. When he's in the garage, I often see sparks
> flashing and shit. I told Dwayne once that I figured he was a like some kind
> of mad scientist with wild hair all over the place, constantly concocting
> some contraption.

Yeah, thing is apartment living makes that awkward, especially with all this damn wall-to-wall. Those coiled lathe shavings would never get out of it. I've been waiting for a chance to ask a super about setting up an aluminum foundry outside, just to see the reaction.

-- Andy