[lbo-talk] more "who"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 1 14:09:35 PST 2009

On Nov 1, 2009, at 4:17 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:

> And here we get to the heart of Reed's point as I see it:

By the way, it was Adolph who sent me the link to that directory.

> But as I wrote in a previous post, it's possible for both the future
> and the past to co-exist -- for a black guy to command predator drone
> attacks on hapless Pakistani and Afghan villagers while, somewhere in
> the U.S., a flat head gets bent out of shape because he sees an
> 'interracial' couple.

The Greenberg et al focus group work on the right, which I posted the other day, found that racism was only a small part of opposition to Obama, "elite" (their word, not mine) assertions to the contrary. It's about Ayn Randian reaction. Of course, some of the righties might be lying, and no doubt they are, but most of them don't want to be seen as racists. That's a big change from a few decades ago. Yes, there's institutional racism and inherited inequalities going back to slavery days, but things aren't what they used to be.

Doug