[lbo-talk] some flippin choice

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:45:02 PST 2009

You mean the part about the 401(k) comes out of pretax dollars so you don't pay income tax or social security on the part that goes into the 401(k) until you withdraw the funds? Or the part about if you need it before age 65 the gumming socks you with an automatic 10% penalty?

Not being a tax accountant, I would say "your mileage may vary," probably by quite a lot.

This also saves the USG from an increment of liability for social security payouts. You don't pay in on it; they don't have to pay out on it. Again, your mileage may vary.

Invest the maximum the company will match. If the 401(k) is all company stock, a la Enron, diversify.

DC