[lbo-talk] do people still read post-structuralism?

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 2 12:16:53 PST 2009

My own impression is that the lot of it is rubbish--humanities theory, that is. Since I have a degree in it I feel some claim of "authority" to satisfy the Merit Police. It serves to provide comfortable careers while protecting the ruling establishment from the revelation of any potentially embarrassing facts. Post-modernism in particular fulfills this objective since it's "project" seems to be to pull out all the stops in preventing rational thought and abolish the concept of truth in any meaningful sense.

One development that may sidetrack this project is the fact increasingly those who teach it are "adjunct" or are in some other fashion part-time, expendable and benefit free. The Golden Age of academic complacency may come to an end as a result.

-Peter

_________________________________________________________________ New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more. http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/