[lbo-talk] do people still read post-structuralism?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Nov 3 03:37:57 PST 2009

At 11:07 PM 11/2/2009, Eubulides wrote:
>Joanna wrote:
>>Asad wrote:
>>"but I really
>>don't understand this kind of knee-jerk reaction from people who subscribe
>>to an intellectual/political tradition that attempted to describe a new
>>historical period and recruited the most jargon-laden and obscurantist
>>bourgeois philosophical fashion of the day to do so."
>>We do? I don't think there's a single deconstructionist on this list.
>>I could be wrong.
>>Joanna

>I think he's talking about some of the Marxists on the list and their
>connection to Marx' appropriation of Hegel and Ricardo and___________.
>
>Deconstruction is not a political tradition. Marxism is/was/is.
>
>Ian

I'd count myself as someone who thinks deconstruction is fun! To me, it's a method. It's a tool. Now, I'm supposed to get a flathead screwdriver to unscrew the screws for the switch plate, but being a lazy ass sometimes a butterknife will do. But you wouldn't use a phillips head or a hammer or a tig welder to unscrew that screw.

I've never understood what people think is wrong with deconstruction. *shrug*

shag