[lbo-talk] do people still read post-structuralism?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 15:35:57 PST 2009

Heidegger and Husserl are kind of closely linked; it's impossible to be influenced by Heidegger without being influenced by Husserl (like being influenced by Luther without being influenced by Augustine). And the stuff about the Trace, presence, and the history of metaphysics is all directly lifted from Heidegger (albeit slightly tweaked). Derrida's critique of Husserl is also basically the same as Heidegger's, if I recollect Speech and Phenomena correctly (I did a paper on it when I took a class on the Transcendental Logic ages ago).

Just about every European philosopher post-1930 has been influenced by Heidegger in one way or another, because anybody trained in the history of philosophy can read him and see that he was fucking brilliant. Not being influenced by Heidegger is like being in the Solar System and not being affected by the gravitational pull of the sun.

----- Original Message ---- From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com>

I think you are going to like this connection. I was trying to track it down the other day. Derrida is usually linked to Heidegger. But I think a much more important influence was Husserl. See Speech and Phenomena, and other essays on Husserl's Theory of Signs, J. Derrida, Northwestern, 1973.