[lbo-talk] Claude

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Nov 3 15:32:28 PST 2009

[Eric Beck posted]:

``Claude Lévi-Strauss, the French anthropologist who transformed Western understanding of what was once called “primitive man,” died overnight between Saturday and Sunday. He was 100...''

I have a real nostalgia for the old man. He really had an influence on me. I've still got my original paperbacks of Tristes Tropiques, Savage Mind, Structural Anthropology. Whatever the outcome of the structuralist project, Levi-Strauss sure lighted a fire under US anthro courses I took, which in turn sure lit up my days. When he is not on his diagramming stuff, Levi-Strauss is a fine writer in his narrative.

I googled him sometime earlier this year and was shocked he was still alive. There is something cool about having a long life, especially since our societies seem to transform at time scales that we can witness.

CG