[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Nov 4 14:29:32 PST 2009

Below is a link to about an hour of Jacques Derrida. It starts with a brief discussion of the word deconstruction. He moves on the concept of deconstruction of the subject, then moves to whether or not deconstruction is a form of irrationalism and its relation to rationalism, then finally deconstruction of nationalism, nationality, language, and then all of the above in relation to universal human rights and English as the international language.

For the con side on Derrida, he answers almost everything that has been thrown against him. For the pro-side, I think Derrida does a beautiful job of explaining and demonstrating what he means and how he goes about it. The basic message, I think, is that our concepts of subject, rationialism, nation, and other cherished projects are always an ongoing system. So then, the method of deconstructing them is essentially to historicize them and then open them to further development.

You don't have to have read Derrida at all to get the ideas and see the method in action.

What I think what has happened to deconstruction historically in the US is a pretty terrible rendition, and some of it is outright wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s8SSilNSXw&NR=1

I am trying to see how that happened. I think it has to do with the difference between writing and speaking, or between a lecture and a conversation. It amazes me how much I learn and how quickly, when listening to a conversation. This speed is in contrast to the slowness of reading and writing. It's also pretty amazing how easily I understood Derrida in conversation, while he seems so opaque and difficult in print.

But there is more to the problem of the US reception than that. I think it has to do with the fact that most US students, their teachers and the criticism in art and literature have little or no background in the European history of ideas and its intimate relationship to each country's historical development, their national literature, and then their battles with each other. We are not used to tracing the trajectory of various arguments, schools of thought, and concepts through changes in language, culture, and through centuries of transformation. We are also not used to switching on and off different modes of thought, which is a kind of mysterious thing that goes when switching between two or more languages.

Derrida mentions this phenomenon at the very last part of his conversation when he starts to talk about his relationship to English as a native French speaker.

Derrida talks about trajectories and genealogies. I was reminded of Foucault's archaeology. One thing Derrida mentioned was the appearance of concepts and their changes. What I was thinking at the time was also about the disappearance of concepts. For example, the ancient Egyptian concepts of mind.

CG