[lbo-talk] conversation with derrida

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 16:08:04 PST 2009

Chuck on Derrida

The basic message, I think, is that our concepts of subject,
> rationialism, nation, and other cherished projects are always an
> ongoing
> system. So then, the method of deconstructing them is essentially to
> historicize them and then open them to further development.

Doug adding: "Yeah. Why does that drive people into an apoplectic rage?"

No, it was Hegel, Marx, Korsch, Lukacs who historicised social categories. Heidegger and Derrida who refused the possibility, by a destruction of ontology, and an endless deferral of specification. They did not historicise the subject, but abolish it altogether.