[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 4 18:27:05 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2009, at 7:14 PM, Eubulides wrote:
>
> > Arationality rather than irrationality; nonfoundationalism, etc.
> >
> > Fideism, secularized.
> >
> > The Keirkegaard revival is apropos.
> >

> > http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fideism/
>
> It would be a kindness if you tried to be a little less cryptic.
>
> Doug

He's not being cryptic. I happen myself to be pretty badly informed in the topics he's listing, but I know _of_ them and am a ware o fhow much I don't know. These are all tendencies in European thought going back at least to the 17th c. See Dryden's Religio Laici.

Arationalaity is the denial that reason can achieve certainty.

Incidentally, there's an ambiguity in the term "histoicize." It can mean see historically, as The Present as History is to look back on the present from a hypothetical future point. Historicism (which the verb "historicize" can also denote, is the opposite, finding the meaning of anything in its genesis.

Carrol