[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Wed Nov 4 18:55:23 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2009, at 8:04 PM, Chris Doss wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure that what Euby means is that the presuppositions of a
>> "system of knowing" (for lack of a better term) cannot themselves be
>> demonstrated within that system. For instance, "every event has a
>> cause" cannot be demonstrated. It's just assumed.
>
> Yeah, faith and all that. But putting on my editorial hat - or, as I
> read recently in the NYT style section, my curatorial hat - I think
> posters should spend a sentence or two explaining what they mean instead
> of sharing what read like private jokes.
>
> Doug

What? It's not like I haven't spent years on this list and others you've participated on discussing difficult issues of epistemology. Why should I have to rearticulate all those problems every time so that it's adequately contextualized?

"Now of the intellectual faculties that we use in the pursuit of truth some are always true, whereas others -- opinion and calculation-- admit falsity; and no other kind of knowledge except intuition is more accurate than scientific knowledge...It follows that there can be no scientific knowledge of the first principles; and since nothing can be more infallible than scientific knowledge except intuition, it must be intuition that apprehends the first principles. This is also evident not only from the foregoing considerations but also because the starting point of a demonstration is not itself a demonstration, and the starting point of scientific knowledge is not itself scientific knowledge [Posterior Analytics II 19, 100]

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/pkt/2001m10/msg00145.htm

The twitch is subsiding.

Ian