[lbo-talk] How radical was Derrida? (was 'does anyone read poststructuralism anymore?')

Asad Haider noswine at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 05:37:13 PST 2009

> ... but when you add "...and its epistemological manifestations", maybe
> that makes sense - if you see Republicanism and the Enlightenment tradition
> as leading inexorably towards colonialism. But that is itself a tendentious
> point, and one that does more to justify anti-rational and anti-democratic
> currents than it does to challenge colonialism.

I don't know. France has a very strong ideology of cultural/political homogeneity--which can be observed in the ideological positions in the debate around immigrants, Islam, the hijab etc. All people who are permitted to call themseves French are first and foremost citizens of the republic, and participants in the glorious patrimoine, the exceptional cultural heritage of France. Even the left positions in the immigration debate often end up arguing that people who work in France should be permitted to include themselves in this republican heritage.

Derrida came along and based his philosophical inquiries on difference, even arguing the foundations of the French tradition (Rousseau etc) relied on difference and the reality constructed by the other even as they attemped to negate .

I think he struck a blow against reactionary political forces *as they existed* in his own discipline, something that Alan Sokal certainly does not seem willing to do.