[lbo-talk] How radical was Derrida? (was 'does anyone read poststructuralism anymore?')

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Sat Nov 7 17:57:02 PST 2009

Chris Doss wrote:

> Ted, if we're going to drop everything into the acid bath of
> scepticism, your view is going to dissolve much faster than mine
> will. You don't get to use scepticism to attack only people who
> attack your beliefs. You have to attack your own beliefs with it
> first.

It's a logical point. You stated a belief about why people believe whatever it is they believe. It must therefore apply to your belief, i.e. the reason Chris Doss believes that the reason people believe in whatever is because they have been told this by people they trust, etc. is that Chris Doss has been told this is the reason by people he trusts, etc.

Ted